Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Monthly Wrap-Up & Year to Date

I'm just getting warmed up with book blogging, but here's a report of what I've read so far in August & the year 2010 to date (from what I can remember!).  Click the title links (if available) for my reviews.  I'll be retro-writing reviews on these & other books I've read in the past when I can.  It's fun to recall how much reading has been accomplished.  I hope my numbers go up!

Books Read This Month (5)
On Writing- Stephen King
Wishful Drinking- Carrie Fisher
The Bear That Came Over the Mountain- Alice Munro
The Book of Ruth- Jane Hamilton
One True Thing- Anna Quindlen

Other Books Read in 2010 (So Far) (21)
The Time Traveler's Wife- Audrey Niffenegger
The World According to Garp- John Irving
The Man Who Mistook his Wife For a Hat- Oliver Sacks
My Autobiography- Charles Chaplin
The Hours- Michael Cunningham
Julie & Julia- Julie Powell
About a Boy- Nick Hornby
Me- Katharine Hepburn
Lessons in Becoming Myself- Ellen Burstyn
She’s Come Undone- Wally Lamb
My Life So Far by Jane Fonda
Don’t Tell Dad by Peter Fonda
What Falls Away by Mia Farrow
Kiss Me Like a Stranger by Gene Wilder
Girl, Interrupted- Susanna Kaysen
What’s It All About- Michael Caine

2 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed On Writing and still remember huge chunks of it clearly, which is a compliment to Uncle Steve's writing. My son just happened to idly pick it up a few years later and that one book made him into a King fan.

    The Book of Ruth was so stark and grim but so well done!

    I haven't read any of your other August reads.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bybee,

    I agree that On Writing is very memorable and I'm glad to see that it stuck with you over time.

    The Book of Ruth was (oddly enough) funny in many parts, but gradually became sad to the point of tragedy. Sounded depressing going into it, but it was well worth it.

    Alice Munro's short story is available for free at the New Yorker (see link in my review). One True Thing is amazing to read, and the movie is quite well done (I actually saw the movie first).

    Thanks for commenting & following!

    ReplyDelete