Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Friday, August 20, 2010

Reading Questionnaire

I came across this on my book blog surfing (a new hobby I’m really enjoying & hoping to attract more traffic here, of course, LOL!):

1. Favorite childhood book?
I was into series: Babysitters Club, Nancy Drew, Bobbsey Twins; and read favourite authors, such as Ann M. Martin, Monica Hughes, Paula Popowich. As for individual titles, too many to name or remember!  Check out my blog post on books read in school.

2. What are you reading right now?
On Writing- Stephen King
The Bear Came Over the Mountain- Alice Munro (short story, adapted into the movie Away From Her)

3. What books do you have on request at the library?
None. Haven’t used the library since my local one downsized considerably :o(

4. Bad book habit?
Reading parts of the ending ahead of time! And spending too much money on them.

5. What do you currently have checked out at the library?
None. See #3.

6. Do you have an e-reader?
No, and I don’t plan to until they stop printing books on paper. I’m an old-fashioned words-on-the-page reader!

7. Do you prefer to read one book at a time, or several at once?
Usually one at a time, though I’ve started books, put them down, and tried to start another while I let a more challenging one sink in, then decide which one to continue with. Only in university English courses did I have to read more than 1 book at a time :o)

8. Have your reading habits changed since starting a blog?
I just started my blog this month, so it’s too soon to tell. I haven’t taken any recommendations yet, since I have a huge list to work off of, but time will tell!

9. Least favorite book you read this year (so far?)
Julie & Julia by Julie Powell.

10. Favorite book you’ve read this year?
The Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger.

11. How often do you read out of your comfort zone?
About 1/3 of the time. I try to take risks and it pays off about that much of the time. For example, I read Oliver Sacks out of interest and it was such a fascinating read (The Man Who Mistook His Wife For a Hat).

12. What is your reading comfort zone?
Anything from the 19th century on.

13. Can you read on the bus?
Yes, thank goodness. Otherwise, I wouldn’t have been able to get any reading done in university on my hour-long commute each day (2 ways, 2 hours, lots of reading!) :oD

14. Favorite place to read?
In bed.  So comfy, and I rarely fall asleep while reading.

15. What is your policy on book lending?
Never done it, but I’ve lent DVDs and it often takes some nudging from me to get them back after several months!

16. Do you ever dog-ear books?
No, I hate that. I’d rather use sticky tabs for passages or bookmarks to mark my place.

17. Do you ever write in the margins of your books?
Rarely, unless I’m planning to teach the material.

18. Not even with text books?
Oh yes…highlighting & notes in the margin was my study guide for 4 years!

19. What is your favorite language to read in?
English…that’s the only language I've learned.

20. What makes you love a book?
Unique writing style, favourite author, atypical characters, and fascinating setting & tone of the book.

21. What will inspire you to recommend a book?
If it changed my perspective on something, profoundly affected me, or was simply a fantastic read.

22. Favorite genre?
Fiction! Ha ha…Coming-of-age is beautiful.

23. Genre you rarely read (but wish you did?)
Historical fiction and science fiction. Most of these tend to be either too dull, too weird, or classics that I simply love.

24. Favorite biography?
Ghosts of Mississippi by Maryanne Vollers.

25. Have you ever read a self-help book?
Sure, but not lately. They usually tell you what you already know.

26. Favorite cookbook?
A homemade book of dessert recipes from my mom’s school they sold as a fundraiser.

27. Most inspirational book you’ve read this year (fiction or non-fiction)?
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon. An amazing eye-opener to the world of a young boy with Asperger’s.

28. Favorite reading snack?
I usually read before bed, so I tend not to eat then, but when I do, I love cheese (with or without wine)!

29. Name a case in which hype ruined your reading experience.
I’ve tried a couple of Oprah's book club choices and not liked them: She’s Come Undone by Wally Lamb and The Deep End of the Ocean by Jacquelyn Mitchard.

30. How often do you agree with critics about a book?
I usually read reviews long before reading the book, so by then I’ve forgotten the critics!

31. How do you feel about giving bad/negative reviews?
I’m comfortable with speaking my mind and remain fair to weigh the good & bad sides of a book, then rank my overall judgment of it. It’s just an opinion, so why be afraid to not voice it?

32. If you could read in a foreign language, which language would you chose?
French. There are so many classic French works—Balzac, Baudelaire, de Laclos…ooh la la!

33. Most intimidating book you’ve ever read?
Positively or negatively? I would say, positively, Times Square Red, Times Square Blue by Samuel R. Delany, which I read for a course called Gender & Sexuality.  Fascinating read, despite catching you totally off-guard at first! Negatively, it’s hard to think of one.

34. Most intimidating book you’re too nervous to begin?
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. I’m stalling on starting it after hearing so many mixed reviews about it.  I bought it, so I'm determined to read it...eventually :oD

35. Favorite Poet?
Percy Shelley, Edgar Allan Poe, John Keats, Robert Frost

36. How many books do you usually have checked out of the library at any given time?
I used to check out 4-5 because I was so indecisive about what to take home :oD

37. How often have you returned book to the library unread?
Only once or twice. I renew books to the maximum borrowing time first.

38. Favorite fictional character?
Wow…probably Anne Shirley in Anne of Green Gables because she was so carefree, feisty, and wonderfully imaginative. Morag Gunn in The Diviners by Margaret Laurence was also a keen storyteller, able to weave words, stay passionate about writing but also remain highly self-critical.

39. Favorite fictional villain?
The Big Nurse in One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest by Ken Kesey.

40. Books I’m most likely to bring on vacation?
Anything new I want to read!

41. The longest I’ve gone without reading.
Probably 2 days.

42. Name a book that you could/would not finish.
I’ve had a few I discuss in my blog.

43. What distracts you easily when you’re reading?
TV or phone

44. Favorite film adaptation of a novel?
The Green Mile by Stephen King

45. Most disappointing film adaptation?
Well, this isn't exactly a dissapointment since I knew it would not be as good as the novel from the beginning (that isn't exactly fair), but The Time Traveler's Wife.

46. The most money I’ve ever spent in the bookstore at one time?
$100-200.

47. How often do you skim a book before reading it?
Rarely.  Only if it has pictures :oD

48. What would cause you to stop reading a book half-way through?
Boring characters or plot, jarring or confusing style of writing, uninteresting subject matter, or if it simply wasn’t what I thought it would be.

49. Do you like to keep your books organized?
Sort of. I shelve books by the same author or of a similar subject matter or genre together. If I gather a large collection over the years, I might organize them differently.

50. Do you prefer to keep books or give them away once you’ve read them?
I keep any book I really liked. Any I don’t like get donated to charity or someone interested in them.

51. Are there any books you’ve been avoiding?
Early literature, such as Plato, Aristotle, Aeschylus…I want to read them, but I haven’t mustered the courage to attempt it yet.

52. Name a book that made you angry.
The Color Purple by Alice Walker. The book was an amazing read, but the hardships and the abuse Celie endured under Albert/Mr. riled me.  Danny Glover adapted him brilliantly in the film version.

53. A book you didn’t expect to like but did?
The Book of Ruth by Jane Hamilton, because I heard the ending was shocking, and it was, but the character of Ruth was so captivating that it surprised me how much I liked it.

54. A book that you expected to like but didn’t?
She’s Come Undone by Wally Lamb. I heard so many positive reviews about it, that I figured I would ease into it, but I could not stay with it before giving up.

55. Favorite guilt-free, pleasure reading?
People magazine :oD And John Grisham.

No comments:

Post a Comment