Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Saturday, August 21, 2010

Wishful Drinking by Carrie Fisher

Purchase:  Amazon | Chapters

Published: 2008
Length: 163 pages
ISBN: 978-1439153710
Genre: Humour, Memoir

Start date: Aug. 17, 2010
End date: Aug. 18, 2010 (boy, that must be a record for me!)

Where from: Chapters-Indigo
Why Read: I heard it was funny and I’ve always liked Carrie Fisher in When Harry Met Sally… and Star Wars (of course).

Summary: A memoir of vignettes written for a one-woman-show about the trials & tribulations of an actress growing up with famous parents (well, one famous parent anyway) and finding the humour in battles with drugs, bipolar disorder, and Star Wars.

Great Quotation: “I feel I’m very sane about how crazy I am.”

Review:

This was a quick but fulfilling read as many dark moments are shared and dealt with through humour, an attitude that can be awkward for some to accept, but after all, what better way is there to handle such a roller coaster of Hollywood existence?

I loved the hilarious tidbits about the relationship with her mother. Did you know she introduces herself as Debbie when she calls? Too cute :o) The entire book isn’t a laugh a minute and it’s not meant to be, but the scattering of laugh out loud moments make it a worthy read. Case in point: The dubious honour of having apicture of Princess Leia in the bipolar chapter of a psychology textbook.

If you’re looking for a memoir about Carrie Fisher’s film career, this isn’t it. Only Star Wars is considerably referenced (Fisher knows it’s impossible not to) especially concerning its reception in popular culture down to the ridiculous merchandising. The most hilarious entries describe the gross misuse of Princess Leia as a shampoo bottle with her removable head and the Pez dispenser that juts wafers out of her neck.

The chapters are short and breezy (even the less voracious reader may finish it in 1-2 sittings) and stories are sprinkled throughout in no particular order, though dish on the Debbie, Eddie, and Elizabeth love/hate triangle is covered earlier on. The humour is consistently self-deprecating, yet the clarity of her self-acceptance and ability to laugh through her darkest moments is a surprisingly entertaining combination. I think reading this aloud with a friend, as recommended by the EW review on the cover, with a couple of margaritas (hold the amphetamines) would make a hilarious romp.

Did anyone else notice the slanted font of the cover's title ala the scrolling Star Wars openers?  This must be deliberate...or I'm morphing into a fanboy.

Rate:  A- Highly recommend

2 comments:

  1. thank you for posting this, I SO have been meaning to read this book for ages! and now I've been reminded! I just adore Carrie Fisher.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome :o) I think she's hilarious & it's a breezy, fun read. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete