Beginnings

Welcome friends! I have started this entry in the global technosphere because I have been in love with books since the age of 2. Among the busy business of being a new teacher, this is my outlet for sharing thoughts on a love of reading a wide variety of books. My inspiration can be summed up with a yearbook quote from a teacher written when I was 8: "To the only girl at recess I see reading a book. Good for you!"
My blog title is quoted from a classmate who asked me this once. Believe it or not, I've also heard it as a teacher :D

Friday, July 22, 2011

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter series, #4)- J.K. Rowling

Purchase:  Amazon | Chapters
Published:  2000
Pages: 637
ISBN: 1551923378
Genre:  Series, YA/fantasy

Start Date:  June 25, 2011
Finished Date:  July 4, 2011 (10 days)

Where Found:  Part of a birthday gift from several years ago
Why Read:  I've been meaning to read this for ages & finally got around to it!

Summary:  In his 4th year at Hogwarts, Harry Potter is suspiciously nominated into the dangerous Triwizard Tournament while battling dreams of Voldemort's return to power.

Review:

The Goblet of Fire is the first whopper of the series, clocking in at 637 pages! It also seems that with the violent undertones of the previous book, The Prisoner of Azkaban, the three Hogwarts heroes, Harry, Ron, and Hermione are no longer children but gradually transforming into the true spirit of their house, Gryffindor.  The whizz-bang chapters at the Quidditch World Cup get the story moving, and make up for the lack of Quidditch at Hogwarts due to the mysterious Triwizard Tournament. This event reminded me of the obstacles in the chamber of the first book, The Philosopher's Stone, only much more dangerous. The gasp-worthy ending to this book makes your hair stand on end and I immediately had to get my hands on the Order of the Phoenix to see how things transpired after the tragedy.

The introduction of wizard characters from other countries was a clever analogy of the United Nations and opens the story to countless possibilities for extended adventures if J.K. Rowling considers expanding on the series.  Some new characters (Mad-Eye Moody) were great additions to the cast; others (Rita Skeeter, Viktor Krum) I could have done without, and even more (Madame Maxime, Cornelius Fudge) seem to be just getting warmed up. 

So, here is how I would rank my favourite books of the series so far:

1) Philosopher's Stone (#1)--I still love how the series starts off with all its magic

2) Prisoner of Azkaban (#3)--Terrific plot and innovative new tricks & secrets

3) Goblet of Fire (#4)--Not as complex or well-executed as PoA, the Triwizard Tournament makes up for it

4) Chamber of Secrets (#2)--A weaker mystery & less intrigue, but still very enjoyable

Onward ho, to the Order of the Phoenix!

P.S.  When I finish the series, I'm going to post a top 10 list of my favourite things from each book.  Spoilers will ensue but at this point, I think I'm safe to do so :) 

Rank:  (A)- Excellent, Highly Recommend

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, I look forward to your end of series post :)

    And my joint favourites are Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince, so you've got some good reading coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed your review! I like the cliff hanger you leave 'gasp-worthy ending'!

    ReplyDelete